[NTLK] Einstein Ethernet OS X binaries available

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Wed Jun 23 01:53:42 EDT 2010

Hi guys,

Network support just got a whole lot better. I uploaded a OS X binary for you to play:

http://code.google.com/p/einstein/downloads/list

Please be patient when your Newton is loading a page. It takes a while. Try simple pages first. My test page is here: http://matthiasm.com/test.html . Google's page for example is is full of scripts an large graphics. It will not load in Courier, but will load after a long while in Newt's Cape.

Please give me feedback.

- Matthias

---

This version of Einstein features emulation for an NE2000
networking PCMCIA card. There are still a lot of missing
features and bugs, but for testing, you can do this:

- launch Einstein
- in preferences, set the Network Driver to "User Mode"
- launch Newton
- install all ethernet related packages from NIE 2.0
- download this file:
<http://code.google.com/p/einstein/source/browse/trunk/Einstein/Drivers/NE2000Driver/NE2K.pkg>
and install it on the Newton.
- install "Courier" and its libraries
- "insert" the NE2000 card by choosing "Platform->Insert NE2000 Card"
  from the Einstein Menu
- the "PCMCIA Ethernet" dialog should appear, close it
- in "Extras", open "Internet Setup"
- click "New -> Generic Setup"
- configure manually and set the local IP to the IP of the host
- set the Mask, Gateway, and DNS (no DHCP yet!)
- close the dialog
- run "Courier"
- click the single arrow [->o]
- enter "borg.org" as a destination (some random minimal web site) and tap OK
- in the connection dialog, choose your internet setup, then choose
  "PCMCIA Ethernet" as your Card, and tap on "Connect"
- after 10 to 20 seconds, Mr. Borg will give you the disappointing
  information that he is no fan of Captain Kirk.
- try more web pages