[NTLK] eBay sale of Newton freeware

Forrest Buffenmyer anasazi4st at me.com
Tue Jun 29 20:45:58 EDT 2010

Okay...well, without this getting really off-topic and developing a life of its own (like the similar copyright topic earlier this year), let me ask a couple of questions:

1) as the leading (only?) Newton forum on the internet, do we not have a duty or obligation to notify eBay--and any bidders (don't ask me how we could do that, exactly), so they don't pay for something that's available for free?

2) if we were on the other end (the bidder), wouldn't we WANT someone like the NewtonTalk mailing list/forum to warn us of this? Would we prefer they stumble on it here, after the fact, that it was readily available for free?

Just some thoughts for the group in general....

Thanks,
--Forrest

On Jun 29, 2010, at 05:31 PM, "L.W. Brown" <lwb at mac.com> wrote:

Agreed - whoever they are, and whatever their motive or knowledge, there is /no/ reason to pay to download what can be legally downloaded for free! And, in my opinion, a word to eBay about this practice would not be remiss..