[NTLK] Updates

Ryan newtontalk at me.com
Thu Mar 4 16:47:08 EST 2010

Programming software and creating documents to be read by others are
quite different. Im not asking Apple for an SDK, I just want a tool to
create feature rich books and magazines for the iPad that others can
enjoy. All this is is a new era of desktop publishing... modern word
processing. That is, we are now not just creating documents for people
to read on desktops and laptops, but on tablet computers with multi-
touch. These new devices demand new kinds of word processing.

With the Newton Apple gave consumers the software to create Newton
optimized books so they could easily get their content on the device.
There was no programming required.

Let's also look at Amazon. They make it easy for authors to self
publish and sell books on their online marketplace place. That
includes things like cover design and online file conversion, etc.

Since Apple is in competition with Amazon for eBooks; since self-
publishing has exploded; since Apple is a consumer company... it makes
sense that they would give consumers a tool to publish rich content
for the iPad/iBooks Store.

They have already been supporting consumers in a similar regard with
iWeb and Pages. This would then make sense:

Add a Pages export format for the iPad. So you create your document in
Pages, complete with text, images, and video and it exports to a
format that works with the iPad's Book Reader application. Adobe
follows suit with InDesign.

Now, with Apple's existing infrastrucure for iPhone app approvals,
they could approve all self published books as well. Give the author/
publisher 70% and they take 30% of the sale price.

But... it's not just about selling eBooks for the iPad. Creating
documents for the iPad is great for things like internal business
reports, letters, school essays, etc. Stuff not being shared with most
of the outside world.

So what this is is a new era of desktop publishing/word processing
that gives people the opportunity to create more engaging documents,
books, magazines, etc.

I have a *feeling* that either an iWork update or the next release of
iWork will have iPad publisher tools built in. Right now, the
publishing industry is up in arms because there is no 1 tool to create
feature rich content for the iPad. As the rep for Penguins Books
recently said, right now it is trial and error. They are actually
using HTML piggy backed onto an iPhone/iPad app to get their content
in these devices. That sounds very hackish, but they don't have a
choice.

And the reason it's so hard to develop said content is because these
devices do not support flash. I like that, but right now it's hard to
create content without flash.

I heard Adobe may be coming out with a publisher tool for all this but
I feel Apple would be doing consumers a disservice if they made us
rely on more complex, commercial software like Adobe's products.

Keynote is also a candidate for iPad development. You could create
very feature rich content with it for the iPad with its smart builds,
etc. But we aren't after presentations, and the iPad already supports
native Keynote documents... we are after more text based stuff like
books and magazines. That's why I think Apple should keep it in Pages
and sort of integrate some of the presentation tools found in Keynote.

Maybe this would usher in the amalgamation of presentation software
with word processing software.

Ryan