[NTLK] Who here thinks the iPad is a worthy replacement for the Newton?

Ross Deihm adventuresindining at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 21:20:45 EST 2010

For me it's all about the hardware. I've used a lot of different types of
palm top computer systems, Palm, Symbian, WinCE. All of them had a major
problem with the hardware. Poor battery life, and on battery death, it
resulted in a memory wipe. Constant recharging is hardly a 'mobile' device.
I'm away from plugs for days, not hours!

My MP120 uses 4 AA batteries. Not some hard to find rechargeable, not some
built in and have to send it back to the factory custom made battery. Just
regular AA batteries. Best of all, it gets 40 hours of on time. Not
"standby", 40 HOURS of working computer. Thats unheard of. As impressive as
the 8 hour run time of the iPad is, I'm still beating it by DAYS. Plus, if I
run out of juice it's not some frantic rush to a wall plug. All I have to do
is buy some new ones, which are as common as air. I dare you to find a
replacement iPad battery between flights during a layover.

On top of that, the device itself is very simple. It's just like a piece of
paper, no desktop, no icons. Just turn it on, and make notes. No having to
find the right program, it's just ready to go, to do the task you need it to
do.

I love simplicity.