[NTLK] Who here thinks the iPad is a worthy replacement for the Newton?

Forrest Buffenmyer anasazi4st at me.com
Fri Mar 19 17:24:47 EDT 2010

.
>Now, most people in generation x and y are touch typists. And everyone
>uses a computer. A lot of us don't write with paper near as much.
>Letters have been replaced by Email; hard copy journal articles with
>electronic ones... It actually seems like in this day and age, people
>identify more with a computer than with a pen and paper.
>

>But it won't take top spot because of the competing input methods like
>keyboards, virtual keyboards and speech.  If it was a better fit for
>the lifestyles of people today, the whole world would be using it.

Good points...well thought out. But I have no problem being classified as what some could call a "niche" user...since the Newton, I like to write...on a screen. And, have that writing (most always) successfully translated into standardized text, that I can share with others.

The Newton does that. This we know to be true.

The iPad does NOT do that. Perhaps in the future there will be an app...but out of the box--it does not do that. This we also believe to be true (based on what we're told by Apple, anyway). Will it do that? There's no proof that it will...certainly not as good as a Newton, I think, if it does that at all.

Most of life seems to be about compromising..."settling" for what you want. What can you live with and what can you live without? Early iPhone users suffered through much they wanted but had to live without---cut and paste comes immediately to mind, and I'm sure I could name at least half a dozen more.

I've gone from device to device, "settling" each time. "This doesn't do 'this'...but it does 'THAT'!. Do I NEED 'that'? Well, 'this other thing' does almost the same function as 'that'."

I don't have to settle with the Newton. With all the alternatives so far...I do. I have to give something up and find something to take its place.

Thanks,
Forrest