[NTLK] OT: OpenSTEP / NeXTSTEP

Raj Patel phigmov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 17:35:48 EDT 2010

I've got an old Colour NextStation slab - need to get it fired up (and
remember the 'root' password!). Lovely hardware and OS - I was always amazed
that they made a fully multi-tasking, great looking, non-crashing OS (even
capable of distributed processing) back when MacOS was stumbling around in
flakey OS 7.5/8 land on essentially the same CPU.

Shame NeXT didn't drop the price - unless you were an Academic or Student
the cost was prohibitive compared to a PC (or even a Mac).

OpenStep was better still and ran on decent spec white-box PC hardware - if
anyone had tried the early Rhapsody Developer Releases from 2000 they would
have seen it as essentially a re-skinned OpenStep.

Cheers,
Raj.