[NTLK] OT: A Future That is a Singularity - Evolution

Bradley Loeding bradley.loeding at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 14:27:16 EDT 2010

Are you referring to futurist Ray Kurzweil and the hypothesis of a coming
technological singularity? If so, I find the concept riddled with problems,
and more akin to a religion of intelligence. It is only possible if quite a
few philosophical questions on intelligence, human nature, total energy
reserves, etc. are swept under the rug as being solved. One thing I can say
for sure is that it is, most definitely, not a forgone conclusion. I'll let
Wikipedia do the dirty work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_Singularity#Criticism

Other than that, a few personal beliefs about the philosophy of
science/physics, when applied, lead me to believe that such an event is a
fiction:
1. When applying math to the natural world, and your final result goes to
infinity, recheck your math.
2. Exponential curves only model short-term real behavior. Long-term they
will always breakdown, at some point, due to "resource" limitation.
3. Nature abhors a singularity, naked or otherwise.

~Bradley