[NTLK] SSH client once again - sorry!

Tony Kan tonykan at xtra.co.nz
Tue May 18 19:24:12 EDT 2010

This is an old hoary chestnut.

AFAIR the problem is that the tcp/ip stack needs rewriting and that is a big job
because:

* It's a complex piece of software
* It's not publicly documented, so there is a significant forensic investigation
to be done

I could be wrong, so anyone is invited to chime in.

I guess it comes down to how much risk you're prepared to take with your home
networking data.  The Newton is rarely used online all the time.  To conserve
battery life it tends to do things in batches, so you have to have
something/someone monitoring your airwaves/internet nodes all of the time to be
vulnerable.

Is the information we handle <i>that</i> sensitive?  The most sensitive stuff I
have is my internet banking user names and passwords but since my bank doesn't
do a mobile friendly website, that task is limited to my desktop/laptop
computers anyway.

If you can get past these concerns then I can attest to the fact that I've had a
lot of use and enjoyment from connecting my Newton to the Internet for file
transfers, browsing and email.  Installing big packages via ethernet or www is
so quick compared to a serial port connection.  Once set up there is no looking
back.

As far as a programming project goes, a more do-able programming project would
be to allow Works to email out an RTF file that preserved my formatting.

Cheers

Tony Kan

Christchurch
New Zealand

[snip]

> I guess the first step is to generate and garner some interest but
> beyond that, logistically, do you have any suggestions for how to go
> about initiating such a project and crucially, suggestions for a
> likely victim to actually code this?!
>
> I hope at the very least we might be able to identify what exactly are
> the barriers and obstacles to this being achieved, and with that
> information, be in a better position to try to overcome those
> obstacles.
[snip]