[NTLK] snow leopard ethernet

Forrest Buffenmyer anasazi4st at me.com
Thu May 20 20:20:35 EDT 2010

On Thursday, May 20, 2010, at 10:29AM, "George Japaridze" <george.japaridze at gmail.com> wrote:
>Thanks and pls let me know when you hear that the sync part is already added.
>
>On May 20, 2010, at 1:25 PM, Bryan N Iotti wrote:
>
>> I can't wait for the developer to finish the synchronization part, that's a useful feature!

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I sent an email to Simon Bell (creator of NCX) last year, asking when the Synchronization feature might be added. In his response, he came right out and said that he has no motivation to complete it...that's it's quite challenging to get it to work and that although he has had some success getting the Address Book to sync, he has given up on anything further. Since he no longer uses his Newton on a regular basis ("except to support NCX users!"), he has no personal motivation to pursue syncing.

I must agree with him...most if not all of the software developers have "real" jobs that (along with family) take up nearly all of one's time...and, while writing software for the Newton is an admirable task and would win many admirers, it doesn't pay the rent.

I've been working with the Claris Organizer 2.0 software and getting it to sync with the Newton...out of the box, it's been written to fully sync with Dates, Names, Notes and To-do applications on the MP. Right now it's hanging up on the Dates app for me (there's an error message and synching stops, but the sync works okay when the Dates feature is disabled)...even after this is fixed, there's some serious drawbacks with it, however...
1) it's OS 9. While it runs well in the Classic environment (OS X 10.1-10.5), Snow Leopard (10.6) and future OSs don't/won't support Classic.
2) there doesn't appear to be any way to sync it with either iDisk or iCal...but I haven't fully investigated this yet.

I'm looking to come up with a way to be able to have a full sync between an OS X Mac and a MessagePad 2x00. At this point, I'm still looking.

Thanks,
--Forrest