[NTLK] [OT] OK. I saw this and I just had to send it!

Dennis B. Swaney romad at aol.com
Fri May 28 19:49:33 EDT 2010

On 28/05/10 14:41PDT, Michael Hurley wrote:
>> Francis Scott Key's poem "The Defense of Fort McHenry" is set to the
>> music of a Revolutionary War song called "Adams and Liberty" (I'm not
>> sure which Adams is meant, John or his cousin Samuel; I suspect the
>> latter).
>
> I've never heard of this "Adams and Liberty" before. Do you have a
> citation for it? I'd be interested in finding the lyrics.

OK, I did some research and found out the following:

1. It was written in about 1798, so it wasn't a Revolutionary War song.

2. It was used as a campaign song for John Adams, so poor Sam Adams is out.

3. You can get the lyrics here:
http://www.potw.org/archive/potw233.html

4. You can get an mp3 by Oscar Brand here:
http://www.amazon.com/Adams-and-Liberty-John/dp/B000S388IU

5. More info:
http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.natlib.ihas.100010462/default.html

http://www.lizlyle.lofgrens.org/RmOlSngs/RTOS-JeffersonLiberty.html

Or just Google "adams and liberty" and you'll get about 12,700 results.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney

Newton MP 2100