[NTLK] Manybooks.net is interesting

Aaron Brigati abrigati at gmail.com
Sat May 29 00:39:52 EDT 2010

On May 28, 2010, at 4:18 PM, J Caffiney wrote:

> I'd almost forgotten what a great e-book reader the Newton makes.  Far
> superior to the current Kindle or Nook readers.  Maybe in a few years
> they'll reach the point the MessagePad was at 13 years ago.

... Okay, I have to ask. What in your opinion makes the Newton a
better e-book reader than modern e-ink devices?

I have a 2000U and it's certainly usable as a book reader, but my
Cybook V3 (similar to most other readers, but with fewer features -
and it cost less, at the time) is certainly a better one.

The screens are about the same size.  The Newton turns Paperback
format book pages just a smidge faster, but JUST a smidge.  The
Newton's screen isn't nearly as sharp and is much, MUCH lower
contrast.  And while the 2000U's battery lasts far longer than any
other PDA I've used, I  use my Cybook for five to eight hours a day
and pnly charge it once every month or so.

The only way the Newton comes out ahead is with its backlight, and I
find my e-book usable in situations without one where the Newt needs
the backlight on.

I love my Newton, and it makes an acceptable e-book reader, but I
can't figure why someone would say it's better than a modern,
dedicated e-in device.

-- Aaron