[NTLK] TIP - Scroll to Top / Scroll to Bottom (List Gesture)

R A Parker RAParker at Newted.ORG
Wed Oct 13 21:54:00 EDT 2010

I think implementations may vary. Let's see where, how, and on what Newton models this gesture is implemented.

For instance, here is what I'm seeing...

On both, my MP2100 & MP120v2.0
InOut Box:

I have a total of 340 items, grouped by date. In overview mode, using the Up or Down arrow, it takes 32 taps on the arrow to get from one end to the other.

Using the gesture (BTW: the easiest way to do this is to drag the top item the short distance, past the top of the page, or the bottom item past the bottom of the page) I'm immediately taken to the top or the bottom... BAM! End of list, clock-tick.

HyperNewt:

The gesture is not needed because of a well thought-out button bar that already includes the "Top" & "Bottom" buttons. However, the gesture IS implemented. Dragging an item (that short distance) and then "holding," will continuously page up / page down so fast, that it is very useful and feels "Newton" natural.

Names:

Same results everyone else has seen with it, and SuperNotePad. It's a simple page up / page down.

But, now adding the additional knowledge and technique of "holding," you'll be at the top or bottom 3x faster than the arrow button.

Extras:

Not implemented. Which makes sense.

Works (MP2100):

Faster page up / page down, same as Names.

Notes (HyperNewt disabled):

Super-fast page up / page down.

On Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 1:59 pm Grant Hutchinson wrote:

> Hrm.
>
> The scroll to top/bottom action
> does not work for me (although,
> I've only tried it in Notes) ...
> I am only seeing the page up/down
> as mentioned by Tony.

> I don't have SuperNotePad
> installed. I wonder if
> something else I have installed
> is preventing it from working?

Nope... think about it and you will realize it's always been here. It's just a tap and drag. Like hi-lighting text on a long page and dragging past the end of the screen. The most common action is what everyone is seeing.

Have any long overview lists you want to try out?

RA
--
Sent using Mail V and a Wireless Newton 2100.
--
   |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM