[NTLK] Using Newton - Simple Pleasures

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 09:28:56 EDT 2010

~~~ On 2010/10/24 09:18, Forrest Buffenmyer at newtonphoenix at me.com wrote
~~~

> On Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 10:08 pm Doug Ramsay wrote:
>
>> The simple pleasure of writing out the notes vice pecking them in with my two
>> thumbs or an index finger was....satisfying. Of course I got the *usual*
>> curious looks from a far while taking notes, almost feeling the questions
>> coming forth.... That too, was cool.
>> Have Newton, Will Travel (...and work).
>
> I couldn't agree more with your sentiments, Doug... despite having several
> different types of devices that I could use in a situation like you describe,
> the simpIe pleasure of just...writing, on the Newton screen...better to me
> than typing, tapping or clicking on something else.

Absolutely, guys!  I was at a public lecture last week and, while others
around me were balancing notebooks on their legs (no desk-chairs in the
hall) I sat and scribbled in my Newton.  Following comments by various
people here I've switched to using ink text and it really is quicker.  This
also has the side benefit that since I sometimes write comments about points
in a lecture, some of which may be not for public consumption, my comments
remain private from wandering eyes since my normal handwriting qualifies as
simple cryptography except to my wife and my Newton!

People still stare as I'm writing, and the only downside is that it
occasionally distracts some people from the lecture momentarily.  But the
tactile pleasure I get from the act of writing in my Newt is enough to make
me not care, and the awesome efficiency and other benefits of the
Newton-style workflow are astonishing and almost exhilarating at times.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4