[NTLK] I'm new to Newton emate purchased on ebay (Cosmo Kain)

Cosmo Kain cosmokain at yahoo.com.au
Wed Sep 1 09:13:32 EDT 2010

Hello, it's Cosmo from Australia I am the person who recently bought an emate from canada on ebay as well as a 4mb card, 4mb upgrade.

Note* Here is the URL link to the machine I have purchased:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160468247777&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_888wt_913

With regards to the actual ebay listing, what the seller has written about the emate hinge fix is very interesting, the way he has worded it - quote from the listing:

"Hinges are rebuilt, when required; I do a visual inspection and if they are secure, like new, there is no point to rebuilding"

I contacted the seller yesterday and asked if he had performed the hinge fix on the particular unit/machine he has sent me (I wish I had done this BEFORE I GAVE HIM MY MONEY) and this was his reply and quote:

"The hinge fix is very much misunderstood. All emates will have the hinge spring, give at some time. The "hinge fix" does not prevent this, it just prolongs it. Its a flaw in the design that can not be corrected. Some people say that if you put a washer over the nut, that it will fix it. Whoever came up with that idea is no metal giant because if you look at the structure of the hinge, if anything, you will reduce the holding power of the nut by putting in the washer and thus, reducing the hinge life"

Why can't the ebay seller tell me yes or no if he has performed the hinge fix it's like he is avoiding the question I have asked him (I have sent him another message) on the particular unit he has sent me? I was very polite and I said if he has not, I will obviously have to get someone to do it for me. WHY can't I get a straight answer out of him? Have you performed the hinge fix on the unit you have sent me? Yes or no it's very easy I am starting to hate ebay very much and I think the whole thing is a very big mistake and waist of money - the emate was $130 AUD the 4mb PCMCIA card was $43.00 and the 4mb upgrade ram was $31.00

I don't like people with bad communication skills it's annoying!