[NTLK] I'm new to Newton emate purchased on ebay (Cosmo Kain)

Michael Grossman ceratoph at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Wed Sep 1 13:13:58 EDT 2010

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Dennis B. Swaney wrote:

> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 07:04:11 -0700
> From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad at aol.com>
> To: newtontalk at newtontalk.net
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] I'm new to Newton emate purchased on ebay (Cosmo Kain)
>
> On 01/09/10 06:13PDT, Cosmo Kain wrote:
>> "The hinge fix is very much misunderstood. All emates will have the
>> hinge spring, give at some time. The "hinge fix" does not prevent this,
>> it just prolongs it. Its a flaw in the design that can not be
>> corrected. Some people say that if you put a washer over the nut, that
>> it will fix it. Whoever came up with that idea is no metal giant
>> because if you look at the structure of the hinge, if anything, you
>> will reduce the holding power of the nut by putting in the washer and
>> thus, reducing the hinge life"
>>
>> Why can't the ebay seller tell me yes or no if he has performed the
>> hinge fix it's like he is avoiding the question I have asked him (I

Welcome to the wonderful world of passive-aggressive eBayers. Try not to
worry too much. I bought a Newton eMate for like $20 from an extremely
uncommunicative seller. It came and the backlight did not work, even
though he said he'd "tested" the eMate. I politely but FIRMLY complained
to him and he sent me a second eMate for free!

I am waiting on the hinge issue. I got a spare eMate and just keep
it for a rainy day. There are quite a few eMates flowting around on eBay
that you can get cheaply for spare parts.