[NTLK] I'm new to Newton emate purchased on ebay

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Wed Sep 1 20:51:49 EDT 2010

> The seller on ebay says he does the hinge fix if he believes it's required - if they are like new
there is no need

Well, he is mistaken. ALL eMates need this fix. I once had one on my workbench that had spent the
last couple of years originally sealed. It was never used before. Even the shrinkwrap was still
around the box. When the owner finally started using it, the ribbon cable was toast exactly 5 days
later.

These hinges come with amazing manufacturing tolerances. Some springs are tighter than others. Those
develop the problem much faster. Some springs have longer legs than others. Those take a little
longer until the leg has worked iself loose from under the screw. Some have more lubricant than
others, on some the lubricant is applied more thoroughly than on others. Both will take longer until
the problem starts its evil progress. However, unless the proper precautions are performed in time,
the eMate's hinge spring will eventually puncture the display cable. There are no exceptions.

> "The hinge fix is very much misunderstood.

With all due respect to the seller: No, it's not. It's not all that difficult to understand in the
first place. I'm inclined to think the seller meant "overrated". Which it isn't, either.

> All emates will have the hinge spring, give at some time.

As a matter of fact every eMate has the hinge spring from the very beginning. Even four of them: Two
in each hinge. Assuming that the seller is referring to the hinge spring PROBLEM: Oh no, they won't.
Not a single one of those I fixed ever developed the problem again.

> The "hinge fix" does not prevent this

Oh yes, it does. See above.

> Its a flaw in the design that can not be corrected.

Oh yes, it can. Provided the repair is performed correctly, conscientiously and using a suitable
lubricant.

> Some people say that if you put a washer over the nut, that it will fix it.

Both is correct. Some say it, and it will fix it. As for the nut: See below.

> Whoever came up with that idea is no metal giant

Since metal giants hardly ever come up with ANY idea, I assume that the seller is referring to
"mental giants"?

Anyway, this statement is at least partially correct. To the best of my knowledge two people came up
with this idea: Joel M. Sciamma and the miserable author of this post. The latter is definitely not
a mental giant and perfectly aware of it. I do think that Joel actually is a mental giant, but I
have no definite proof. Be it as it may, not a single eMate that underwent my putting "that idea"
into practice ever developed... see above.

> because if you look at the structure of the hinge, if anything, you will reduce the holding power
of the nut

For a start, there is no nut. The spring legs are held in place by the head of a small screw. Apart
from that, all eMate hinge springs I ever was on speaking terms with unanimously confirmed that they
couldn't care less if their legs were held in place by a washer or by a screw head.

> by putting in the washer

The purpose of the washer is NOT preventing the shortening of the spring leg. The only way to
prevent this is a very conscientious way of working and a lubricant that is perfect for the job. The
washer is there to ensure that the spring leg will only pop out after it has become so short that
the remaining stub is too short to pierce the ribbon cable.

> and thus, reducing the hinge life

If I wasn't so well-bred I'd be tempted to say that the seller appears to be having no clue what
he's talking about. It should be generally accepted that a hinge that dies (and kills a ribbon cable
in the process) had a much shorter life than a hinge that was lucky enough to have undergone the
proper precautions in time?

Well, maybe it's just too late for me today to understand it. Let me close this post with the humble
statement that I firmly believe that I'm probably the only list member (well, except maybe for
Woody) who has fixed more eMates than anyone not working in Apple's service department.

If you have an eMate without the hinge fix, the best you can do is NOT to close the lid. You can
turn the eMate off with the power switch. This is better anyway even if you do close the lid, but
that's another story. If, however, you think you absolutely have to move the lid, make sure to open
and close it veeeeery slowly. Slowly in this context means at least 10 seconds. That way you can
feel and hear the hinge spring snap out from under the screw. The lid will twitch and its
"resistance" against movement will suddenly decrease. If this happens, fix the lid in its current
position and DO NOT MOVE IT EVEN A FRACTION OF A MILLIMETER FURTHER. You can then go ahead and save
your trusty green friend by doing what I describe here:

    <http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html>

Frank