[NTLK] pretty interesting

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 07:15:56 EDT 2010

Hello,

--- On Thu, 9/2/10, L.W. Brown <lwb at mac.com> wrote:

> I hate to say it, but even this long-time Apple Addict is
> getting tired of Apple's new "nanny-culture" - let me load
> & run the software I want, and /without/ the _constant_
> reminders that even *approved* apps might allow a young
> adult to see something some overly up-tight prude might
> object to.

The thing to realize is that as CEO, Steve Jobs primary, um, job is to enhance shareholder value.  Not to build world-beating computing devices, or to make you and I happier, or the world a better place, but to enhance shareholder value.

When you think of it that way, Jobs' closed-box, I-know-what's-best-for-you philosophy (which, by dint of his position for the past decade, has become Apple's philosophy) makes a lot more sense.  When your company is all about locking down devices as much as it can and then pocketing the key, that means more money for your shareholders.  Likewise, warning parents about the potential (however real or remote it might be) for Naughty Content to reach the screen their youngster is in front of makes a lot of sense from a shareholder's perspective.  Let's face it: no one has ever been dragged into court for issuing a warning, however lame, ineffective, or downright unnecessary that warning might be.

So viewed from their shareholder's perspective, Apple is indeed a great company for doing things the way they choose to do them.  However, if you are -not- a fan of the "walled garden" philosophy, then handing your money to Apple might not be the best idea.  Of course, it's your wallet, so you as a consumer must decide what works best for you.

Earlier this week, I was eating lunch at a restaurant that happens to be up the street from an Apple Store.  There I was, eating lunch at a sidewalk table, frightening away the other customers, when two guys walked by clutching satchel-style boxes with color photographs on the side loudly declaring that contained therein was a MacBook Pro.  Of course, I briefly contemplated mugging one (or both) of these guys, but as I say, there were two of them, and they were actually pretty big guys; so much for that idea.  I then thought of trotting down the street and using good honest credit card debt to allow me to go swaggering down the street just as the two chaps had done.  I mean, it seemed like such a cool thing to do.

However, something suddenly popped into my head that I'd read long ago:

"Because one thing I can't abide:
Hardware that won't let me decide."

..and I realized that, as trendy and fun as owning Apple stuff can be, I would be supporting Apple's corporate philosophy by putting money into their pocket.  Some folks have no problem doing this, and more power to them, but I don't happen to be one of those people.

It's going to be interesting seeing what happens with Apple over the next few years.  Now that Apple's market cap has exceeded Microsoft's, I have to wonder if they're going to start making Microsoft-type decisions because, well, the more money you have, the sillier you can afford to be.

Anyway, my point is that I understand your frustration.  It's just that Apple has a reason for doing what they do, even if that reason is one you and I don't happen to agree with.  We'll see if the market continues to support Apple's way of doing things, or if consumers get tired of buying into their philosophy and decide that other companies are more worthy of getting their hard-earned dough.  I know that sounds wildly improbable right now, but these things have a funny way of changing.

Best,

James Fraser