[NTLK] Backing up

Woody Smith woodysmith at comcast.net
Mon Sep 13 23:45:29 EDT 2010

A backup on a CF card will not be sufficient should you ever need to do
a brain wipe, it happens.  I recommend that you have at least one Linear
flash card to backup essential drivers for Ethernet, blue tooth, ATA
etc.  Linear flash and serial are the only built in connection tools.
If you have serial connectivity then use NewTen on Mac or NCU with
Windows to bootstrap after brainwipe. Folks with newer windows machines
use 'slow down' for serial compatibility.

If you are using Mac OS X then install NCX and do backups via Ethernet,
wifi or wired.  As far as I know there is no direct ethernet connection
to windows.
If you have multiple ATA cards install SBM utilities to backup card to
card, but you will still need to deal with bootstrapping.
For loss or theft you willo need a backup to your computer

As far as saving data I use email via MailV and ethernet.  many folks
myself included also use personal web serving to move content to the
Newton.

Backing up a 1GB card via any newton software will not be worth the
effort, 32MB is about the reasonable max.

Woody