[NTLK] Einstein running on iPhone

Riccardo Mori rick at newted.org
Wed Sep 15 19:28:25 EDT 2010

quoth James Fraser:

> Anyway, from my own bitter and jaded perspective, it seems fairly obvious that the new, jumbo-sized Apple of the 21st Century is damned unlikely ever to build anything truly outstanding like the Newton again, not when they've proven that it's possible to make a metric diaperload of cash by cleverly packaging mediocrity.

While I very much agree with you on everything you said about the Newton, I think you're being unjust towards the iPad. Let's don't forget that the iPad is a first version of a device which is only 5 months old. iPad has interesting potential, in my opinion, and there's still a lot of room for improvements and for making it -- if not a game-changing personal computing device -- at least a more powerful, versatile machine.

The Newton itself has achieved greatness in later stages of development, both hardware and software. The first Newton model, after 5 months since its introduction, wasn't something really memorable, was it? (In context, I mean, not in hindsight.)

Cheers,
Rick

System Folder - The Platinum Days
<http://systemfolder.wordpress.com>