[NTLK] Newton Press runs in Wine

Tony Morrow gizmo1482 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 06:38:48 EDT 2010

On Sep 16, 2010, at 3:20 AM, Abraham Limpo wrote:

> Sadly, Wine has a long story about getting to recognize correctly
> the serial
> ports you have exposed, especially if they are USB devices.

<snip>

Yes, using WINE to run Windows applications on Linux or OS X is pretty
cool. I have tried multiple times to get NCU to work with WINE while
running Ubuntu and Fedora. Unfortunately all attempts were
unsuccessful. I mapped the TTY location of my Keyspan serial port to
WINE and set my user permissions to access the serial port. When my
Newton tried to connect to NCU, the application locked up and the Dock
timed out. I don't know what's causing the issues and I do not have
the programming skills to debug and diagnose the problem. I just hope
that one day WINE will get an update or patch that accidentally fixes
the issue.

-Tony Morrow