[NTLK] Fwd: Re: Hello - returning to the list & MP 2000 internet questions

Lloyd A. Conway ssgconway at juno.com
Sun Sep 19 14:25:32 EDT 2010

Tony,
     I'm happy to hear that you survived the ordeal in good order.  As you mention, even in the midst of such a trial, the situation elsewhere can make one aware of how relatively well off one is.  NZ has a stable government, cohesive society, and lacks the civil wars, Taliban, etc., etc., that cloud life in Pakistan, even when no particular disaster is taking place.

"It's going to be a difficult few months for many families who have some
combination of being hit by the economic recession, displaced from the homes or
made unemployed by the earthquake.

They say it's going to cost $NZ4b to rebuild Canterbury.  Today I heard that the
UN was asking for a mere $US4b for Pakistan.  It seems disproportionately low
somehow.

There's always someone worse off than you...

Tony"

     Thanks, Woody.  I've already been in touch with J&K Sales, who, by the way, tell me that they're going to shift to eBay or some other method for on-line sales shortly.  I hope to acquire the cable in question before they do so.
      The bootstrapping option is also appealing, and I additionally reached out to the local Mac usergroup that I belong to, 'LAMLUG,' to see if they have any Newton users with information - dial-up providers, etc.  (There is a freenet group still active in Flint, and they may be my next stop for usable dial-up service.)
     As far as WaveLAN cards go, your mention of the 'silver' variety jogs my memory - I believe that the card in the old Airport 'Graphite' base station is a WaveLAN Silver model.  (I have one and use it for wireless dial-up for my PowerBook 1400.)  It may be time to find a screwdriver and check that out...

"As Tony mentioned you need a dial up service that doesn't require that
you have SSL or log in through an HTTPS site.
Getting rare.
There are a number of newton users that are active and living in Mich.
If I were in your situation I would look at
1)getting a Newton interconnect to pc serial cable see
<http://www.jksalesinc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25_37_48>and a
KeyspanUSA-19HS Serial to USB expect $30 on ebay.  This will work with
either Mac or PC.

or

2) Get an ethernet card Wavelan silver $10 on ebay and a few others
work, stay clear of wavelan bronze (if it isn't specified don't
buy)Bronze cards have no level of WEP.   Wired cards are great, no to
cardbus  3Com 589 series seem to work 3CXE589ET on ebay for under
$10.  You will need to get drivers installed.

meeting up with a colleague or borrowing a card with info installed
are the best.

I personally opt for the first choice in order to set up the second.

Good luck
Woody"

      Finally, someone wants my old '130, but I still have the 'parts' '110, if someone's interested in acquiring it, as I did, for the cost of postage.

Regards,
-Lloyd Conway
  Charlotte, Michigan