[NTLK] OT: was C64 on app store? now Is IBM evil?

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 17:11:09 EDT 2010

Hello,

--- On Wed, 9/22/10, Forrest <anasazi4st at me.com> wrote:

> I also have several Data General laptops (from around
> 1984)...they were truly portable (although they weighed ~35
> lbs each!), but the first ones didn't have hard drives nor
> backlit screens.

Do you mean the DG-1?

I have to laugh when I think about what was considered a "portable" computer way back when.  If it had a handle, or could be moved in some way involving one hand, then it was a "portable computer."

The standing joke with Osborne owners is that you could always tell who owned an Osborne by the fact that one of their arms was longer than the other. :)

Of course, I have to laugh even -harder- when end users in 2010 complain bitterly about how the 1.5 pound iPad is "too heavy."  Admittedly, they're not entirely incorrect in *that* context, but somehow it always makes me want to blurt out, "You're new here, aren't you?"

Best,

James Fraser