[NTLK] OT: was C64 on app store? now Is IBM evil?

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 10:13:06 EDT 2010

Hello,

--- On Thu, 9/23/10, Bryan N Iotti <ironsides.medvet at gmx.com> wrote:

> Wow, I bet if you had given people the choice to lease an iPhone or a Mac >and then upgrade to a later model, upgrading without purchasing, well, >they'd have a lot of IPhone 1.x and Intel Core Solos gathering dust.

Who would?  Apple or consumers?

If Apple leased, as opposed to sold, their stuff, they might be more aggressive about marketing used/refurbished older devices so that they don't end up with a lot of idle hardware on their hands (as you point out).  Of course, when Apple -sells- their stuff, as they currently do, the problem of obsolescence becomes the consumer's problem.

It's just that Apple seems so keen to "control the user experience," I don't see why Apple leaves the hardware out of the equation.  They could control that aspect of the user experience better by leasing.

Best,

James Fraser