[NTLK] Mail V, part 2

Forrest anasazi4st at me.com
Tue Sep 28 11:55:32 EDT 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 12:14 AM, R A Parker <RAParker at Newted.ORG> wrote:

<snip>

The summary is:

1) Check your default storage location for the incoming mail.

2) Mail V and POP will slow down (hang/timeout) if the storage available drops below 1MB and becomes fragmented.

3) Use a 16MB or larger external PC card to store incoming mail.

4) Be prepared to erase your stores (completely) to recover lost space (2KB per POP session) and fix fragmentation.

Thanks, Ron. I'm using one of Frank's 20MB PC cards, so #3) would seem to apply...it's not that big of a deal to click on the "X" and close that window--but since everything usually works so elegantly on the Newton, it's just an annoyance. Like I said, it seems to save it okay.

Do you have any experience with another error...the "unable to find server" (or "server error") message (or words to that effect) that appears if I don't have Mail V set to disconnect after sending email? What happens is, the email is sent okay, but after a few seconds the message appears, along with "smtpauth.earthlink.net", which is the correct smtp server for my ISP (tested and used on all my devices). Clicking on the window causes the error tone and another window with error code (-48200).

The only way to clear the "smtp" error window (since clicking on it causes the second error message) is to reset the Newton.

Thanks,
--Forrest