[NTLK] HWR and the Art of Thinking

Tony Kan tony.kan at clear.net.nz
Fri Apr 1 22:57:38 EDT 2011

Hi Lloyd

Just found that article I was thinking of  when I was writing about the Fitaly
Keyboard (http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2008/12/fitaly-keyboard.html):

A Washington Post article ("The Handwriting is on the Wall," 11 October 2006:
http://tinyurl.com/khzzm) noted that there were many benefits to learning and
using cursive handwriting:

* Good handwriting skills learnt at a young age improves the students ability to
articulate their thoughts. Children without handwriting skills produce simpler,
shorter, less nuanced compositions.

* Examiners give lower grades to papers when the text is less legible.

* Socially, readers are more likely to emotionally connect with the writer.

Cheers

Tony Kan

Christchurch
New Zealand

[snip]
      At any event, I thought that this audience would find the piece to
be...stimulating.
Regards,
-Lloyd Conway
  Charlotte, Michigan