[NTLK] Storage card specifications

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Thu Apr 7 10:27:43 EDT 2011

All versions of NOS can use flash memory.  Apple made flash cards and
had them available almost since the beginning.  However due to the small
amount of heap (RAM) memory available in the earlier versions of Message
Pads, I would try to get a smaller rather than larger flash card.  I
certainly wouldn't go above 10mb.  The reason being that the card memory
has to be "kept track of" in the newtons heap, and the larger the card,
the more heap it takes.  And you will likely get more "the newton does
not have enough memory to do what you ask..." messages more often with
larger cards.

Just make sure the flash card uses 12v for writing/erasing and it will
work in all newtons except emates.

Btw here is a good site:
http://www.mac3.de/sig/newton/memory_cards.html needs a little updating
since the flash ATA driver is a reality but the other information is
still accurate.

-Dan