[NTLK] [OT] PowerBook G3 no boot issue

Scott Hoffman hoffo at gmx.com
Mon Aug 15 01:23:00 EDT 2011

Greetings Fellow Newtonians,
      Here's an off-topic puzzler from the WallStreet II department...
      Just yesterday I had dusted off my PowerBook G3 running OS 9.2.2.  Everything worked fine including wireless.
       Today, however, after plugging it in (I don't have a functional battery pack for it - one's in there to hold the spot but it's dead) I got nothing. Er, to be exact, I got an occasionally flickering green power light.  Sounds like the machine wants to start up but doesn't.
        The rundown: plug in power supply, plug into computer, and get startup chime and immediate power off.  Light comes on, sounds like computer trying to start up, light goes out, nothing further.
         I tried reset, reseating dead battery pack, un-plugging and re-plugging in power supply, different power socket, etc. ad nauseum.
         Suggestions?  Do you think it could be the power supply board?  I understand they can be a source of trouble in the WallStreets.
          Thanks for your time.
           Take care,
           Scott
--