[NTLK] Hi Newton users, question about the best way to go for getting connected

Tony Kan tony.kan at clear.net.nz
Wed Aug 17 20:51:32 EDT 2011

Don't discount connecting wirelessly.  Though the configuration steps are a
little more complex, the speed and stability advantages more than outweigh
the extra time required.

Picking up a used compatible 802.11b wireless lan card is pretty cheap; and
you can turn get a used wireless router or access point at reasonable prices
too.  But if you don't want to shell out for the latter you can
theoretically turn a laptop into a virtual access point by activating
internet connection sharing and set it to share on the wireless card in ad
hoc mode.

I've never turned a laptop into an access point so if anyone has any actual
experience please feel free to chime in.  I have a wireless router.

Cheers

Tony Kan

Christchurch
New Zealand

[snip]

> I'm soliciting opinions on the least expensive and most hassle-free way
> to connect and hopefully revive my Newton into the useful device I know
> it can be.  Is the USB card from Newtonsales.com the way to go?
> (http://www.newtonsales.com/usb-001.pdf).
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
[snip]