[NTLK] Newton Bootstrapping

Max Smith maxmaxmaxmaxsmith at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 16:22:29 EDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

I just got my first Newton (a 2000U) on Friday, and after playing
with it for a day, I've decided I'd really like to try some of the
many applications written for it.

The only problem is that my Macintosh doesn't have a serial port, and
even if it did, I don't have any AppleTalk cables anymore nor the
Newton Interconnect dongle. I found out that you could use IrDA to
transfer files so I dug out my old ThinkPad, but alas the Newton
doesn't have the correct drivers. So, I've now run into the issue of
'bootstraping". I understand that there is or was a PCMCIA card
lending program to get new users up and running, but I'm not sure who
to contact about that.

I was hoping you guys could help me out.

Thanks,

Max Smith