[NTLK] Einstein Android Device Reviews

Joseph Reilly Reilly001os at aol.com
Fri Dec 2 10:29:00 EST 2011

On Dec 2, 2011, at 8:11 AM, Matthias Melcher wrote:
> Thanks for the great review! The menu and screen rotation has not been put into the apk yet. As soon as the screen size settings are implemented, I will release the next apk which can also install pkg files.

Thanks, based on the run-on sentences and a few word errors I'm obviously no writer but I thought I'd give it a shot since so many people (including me)
 were asking about the power of different devices. I've also started reading an android development book but I'm very far from being able to actually contribute on that front
so I thought I'd do something to try to contribute now. Probably the hardest part was pulling the rom off my ump2000 via my old os9 ibook. I tried long ago to use the
ethernet method and couldn't get it to work but with some tweaking I got the serial dump to work finally.

Yeah I was hoping I had an out-dated binary (and that it wasn't other issues) when those features didn't work even though google said the binary was only 5 days old.

> As for the missing pixels: NewtonOS needs a minimum of 320x480 pixels, but your screen is 320x480 minus ten or so pixels for the Android status bar which I don't dare to switch off. Scaling a bitmap makes it either fuzzy (which is horribly slow) or cuts of this ten missing lines somewhere else in the picture. We will have an option to set the desired resolution so that the Newton screen maps nicely to the native screen resolution.

The pixel chop issue is almost a non-issue really. If einstein ran fast enough to use on the Optimus I don't think the chopping would've impaired use, it would've
just been a small visual oddity. Funny thing too, the buttons and graphics were drawn pretty smooth around the chopped text, it was only the text that was
obviously chopped. So, for example, the buttons on the bottom of initial start up screen were all complete and well formed buttons it was just the text in them that
looked  a pitch size too big and was therefore chopped at the bottom a bit.

It would've been nice to try on a tablet but I haven't been adventurous enough yet to put android on my touchpad, I rather like webos. I'm thinking I might try it
on the Samsung Intercept just for laughs though but I don't hold any hope for that rubbish device :-D (its got odd lcd size, little ram, bad touch detection, no gpu, etc)

Joe Reilly