[NTLK] [OT] Turducken

Laurence W Brown lwb at mac.com
Tue Dec 6 02:44:26 EST 2011

I deep-fried turkeys for many years - usually no /fewer/ than 4 at a go, sometimes both for Thanksday as well as Giftday, since you have to buy so much fat.

Other than thawing the bird (d'uh), and keeping the cooker away from a wooden wall (d'uh), the safest way to go is lard: it just does not catch fire as easily as vegetable oil. Moreover, it cooks the bird much better, and the bird does not soak it up to become greasy & unhealthy.

I would also just partially cook in oil to keep in the juices, then finish cooking in the smoker for added flavor - as well as letting any remaining fat to drain off. Six to 8 birds will let you give away some, and freeze the rest for a whole winter of great eats... Turkey chili in Feb - yumm...

Sent from my 2Pad…