[NTLK] NewTNG 3.0

Warren Ockrassa wockrassa at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 12:17:15 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Larry Yaeger <lsynt3 at beanblossom.in.us> wrote:

> Mac OS X's Inkwell is a direct descendent of the Newton's print recognizer, with a slightly improved language model and re-trained, slightly better neural network character recognition.

Thanks for the tip. I'd never looked closely at Ink, but when I pulled
its prefs up I was quite surprised at how ... familiar certain
settings looked. Until there's a touchscreen Mac, though (not a
modbook), I'm not sure how practical it'll be for me personally to
use. I can't get past the reflex of needing to see what I'm writing
actually being written on the surface I'm using to trace the glyphs,
so tablet input isn't in my immediate future.

Very interesting history, though, even if it does suggest that we'll
never actually see patents on Newton being released. The core
technology (or at least the most meaningful - the HWR) is still live,
on OSX, after all.

--
-- Warren Ockrassa | nightwares.com