[NTLK] Gophering and using Telnet on a Newton

Michael Grossman ceratoph at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Thu Feb 10 11:52:05 EST 2011

Nice to see someone else asking about this. I asked a while back but no
one was interested.

Cameron Kaiser, creator of Classilla, has done much (hopefully not all) to
bring back gopher in recent years. Check out floodgap.com.

Back in the day, 1993, gopher was pretty cool for moving text and files
around. Definitely nicer than FTP. (This was before the days of designer
ftp clients like ncftp.) It still might have its uses for underpowered
obsolete systems and local community news freenets. (Sadly, these died out
in my area in the 90s. Hell, I don't even have a landline phone!)

Anyway, I liked USENET, too. Text interfaces were fun and had more of a
community feeling than the Welcome-To-The-Corporate-Machine graphical web
forums of today.

Someone please enlighten me if I'm wrong, but telnet/ssh and gopher are
just not there on the Newton. The only Newton telnet client is overpriced,
and, well, kind of so-so. Distributed as a time-limited demo, it can
only be installed on ONE Newton once you register for $25. But PT100 is
better than nothing, I guess.  If nothing else, it inspires me to use my
Sharp Zaurus for ssh/ftp/gopher etc!

There was mention of an ssh client in development on the very nice My
Apple Newton blog, but I think the guy lost interest & didn't give out the
source.