[NTLK] G3 Death / old Compaq

Stephan Weber ashkelon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 13:56:22 EST 2011

I recently rebuilt my ex's Wallstreet to use solid state drives (XD cards in
a sled) and he's loving the light weight, quiet and long battery life. But
that's the first and only time I've worked on one of those machines.

I do have a collection of older pc's including my old GRiDs which are near
to my heart, but especially this old Compaq Armada, which is small, light,
tough and even carries it's power supply on-board. My DOS machine of choice,
but used for little more than games at this point.

I've been thinking about putting XP on it and using it for my backups.

As you say, the most reliable machines I have, still running after all these
years with basic maintenance, and some replaced batteries -- and when I was
irritated about having the power supply on a $3K machine under 3yrs old
fail, the kids at the big box store acted like "what do you expect -- it was
nearly THREE YEARS old".

Gods!

--
The Masters don't give orders;