[NTLK] FW: iFixit: Apple ¹ s Diabolical Plan to Screw Your iPhone

J.M. Heinrichs minicapt1 at mac.com
Sat Jan 22 16:50:33 EST 2011

See my second last sentence, it's a design decision.
Phillips-head screw are inferior fasteners and are prosaic to point of ugly. You can get away with using undersized drivers , and even no-srewdrivers on occasion. Imposing the 5-lobe head does not prevent one from opening the Mac; it merely requires one to acquire the proper tool in advance. They could have chosen another type of screwhead: would you be content with 'Torx' again? And the original 'anti-disassembly measures' on the original Macs was less the use of the Torx but rather the unnecessarily extra long screw holes put in the case, plus the case spreader. Dell, HP and other computer makers may be content with the Phillips screw, but that's no recommendation for Apple.
The 5-lobe screws are actually quite attractive, but my concern is whether they will holdup during disassemblies 'to see what's there'.

The proper Phillips screwdriver:
1 shot alcool,
4oz orange-flovored Tang,
2 tablespoons Milk of Magnesia.