[NTLK] FW: iFixit: Apple ¹ s Diabolical Plan to Screw Your iPhone

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 13:36:35 EST 2011

~~~ On 2011/01/23 02:20, J.M. Heinrichs at minicapt1 at mac.com wrote ~~~

> If Apple wished to prevent you from opening up an Apple product, they would
> not be using screws on their outer cases, and the inside bits would all be
> soldered in place. Including the battery. In other words I am disagreeing with
> the postulate that Apple, for the past 30 years, has devoted time, money and
> personnel resources to making it difficult for a user to gain access to the
> interior of an Apple product. This is not the same postulate as the one which
> holds that Apple has expended no time, money or personnel resources to ease
> the plight of the Apple user who desires access to his Apple product.

Well first, I don't postulate a conspiracy as such.   Unlike some of the
journalists, I imagine more of a trend or preference, a predisposition of
mind, if you will, that is affecting decisions more and more as time goes
on.  I imagine it may even be seen as a side-benefit of the ongoing
redesigning of products:  "make 'em robust, make em sleek, make 'em cool,
and oh yes, make 'em less easy to open up casually".  But the effect seems
gradually to be moving in the same direction.

Second, I don't postulate that they've been doing anything nefarious for the
past 30 years.  The Pismo (and the previous models of that family) is proof
enough of that -- IMO working on a Pismo is one of those true natural highs
for anyone who loves to work on a computer.  But a number of their other
computers prior to the last 10 years (or slightly less) have also been
pretty easy to work on.  Even the problem of the old MacPlus, et al., with
that mile-long screwdriver, could be argued to have arisen from the design
of the case.

Third, I agree with you that the ultimate step of locking out customers
would be welding/glueing/soldering absolutely everything.  TBH I don't think
they'll dare do that at least for some time to come.

If I had to guess, I'd say that one of the main reasons why Apple (and every
other manufacturer -- I don't distinguish here) don't go to this extreme is
that it effectively would lock out their own techs.  Apart from the
practical problem this would cause for their quality control and testing, it
would remove all possibility of any illusion of after-sales technical
service, because the resulting case-damage would mean that pretty much all
warranty service would be reduced to replacing units.  The extra expense of
that is going to hurt!  They won't go quite that far.  Some kind of screws
will have to stay, I think.

> My only conspiracy theory at present holds that someone somewhere is fiddling
> the number chooser for the Loto 6/49; this serves to explain my absolute
> lifetime lack of success in this endeavour.

Now, John, you know that's not a conspiracy, it's just the evil work of the
Probability Fairy charging you lottery tax ...   ;-)

Shalom.
Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4