[NTLK] Newbie with a whole bunch of Y2010 patch questions

Vladislav Korotnev vladkorotnev at mail.ru
Thu Jul 14 11:49:39 EDT 2011

Hi.
I will answer as much your questions as I can.

> 1. Is the patch on UNNA?  If it is I couldn't find it.  I got the Patch-711000.zip file from 40hz which looked like it was the same file Tony referenced from his site.  I also downloaded Y2010_Diagnostic.pkg from Ed's site.
Better download it from 40hz.org.

>   I understand that 'Patch.pkg' is the actual patch but what are the 'ROMPatch.pkg' & 'RExPatch.pkg' files?
Actually IDK, but I guess you will only need Patch.pkg.
> And what are all the files that start with «._»?
Delete them. These are Mac OSX cache files. Someone was just too lazy to clean them up ;).

> 3. The readme.txt file states that it is patch version 71J059, which if I understand correctly is the previous version of the Y2010 patch.  Is this the same readme.txt file that was used for the previous patch and just needs updating?
Try downloading the latest one from 40hz.org.

> 4. I finally realized that the "717260" referred to the NOS/ROM version.  Since this is a ROM patch, once the patch is installed can I remove the package file from my Newton?
It won’t appear on the device, ‘cause it’s a ROM patch.

> 5. Is this package beamable? (so that I can transfer it to my Newton with the bad interconnect port)
No, because of the same thing. It won’t appear in the icons, so you’ll be unable to beam it. It’s not a usual package, it is a ROM patch that flashes into the ROM during installations.

> 6. Where can I get the file '717260 Install Override.pkg' (just in case)? I did download the 'PatchRemover-000000.zip' file from Eckhart's site as well just in case I needed it.
Sorry, I don’t know ‘bout this one.

Good luck!

Thanks!
~ Vladislav Korotnev
Contact me anytime at:
eMail	vladkorotnev at mail.ru
		vladkorotnev at gmail.com
		vladkorotnev at coolsoftware.ru
		vladkorotnev at me.com
FidoNet  2:5020/12000.64
My BBS  vladkorotnev.no-ip.org  <currently down for system restore>