[NTLK] Linux and Desktop Transport success

Andy Hill adhill at fastmail.co.uk
Sun Mar 13 19:13:07 EDT 2011

Hi there

I am taking a very tentative look into using Linux, as a total beginner
and have installed Opensuse to see how it goes.

One of the things I wanted to do was to establish a way of sending text
from the Newton to the desktop and have found a programme called Minicom
does this just fine (a bit like Hyperterminal available on Windows)
alongside Desktop transport loaded onto the Newt.

I basically followed this link:

http://linuxwave.blogspot.com/2009/06/hyper-terminal-for-linux.html

And did the following in respect of the instructions on Unna, see below:

First install the minicom programme, then load the configuration file by
typing minicom -s as the root user in the terminal window.
Go to 'serial port set up' and change the port to Comm 1 or which ever
port you are using: for me this is /dev/ttyS0
Set speed to 9600.
Set parity to None
Set Data to 7 bits
Set Stopbits to 1 (it says 1.5 in the notes on Unna but there is only a
choice of 1 or 2 and 1 seems to works ok)
Leave the rest as is.
Leave hardware and software control to No

Desktop transport is available on Unna:

http://www.unna.org/view.php?/applications/communications/DesktopTransport

I have absolutely no idea what any of the above means but it works. Two
taps and you can send one or more records from the Newt to the desktop,
then copy and paste to another application.

Hope useful to someone.

PS: on a more important note I pray for the people in Japan right now.

Andy