[NTLK] Newbie with memory card questions

Tony Kan tony.kan at clear.net.nz
Fri Mar 25 16:55:50 EDT 2011

Hi Rusty

Thx for the shout out.

The optional 2K byte 'attribute memory' space retains Card Information Structure
(CIS). The Card Information Structure (CIS) is information stored on a PCMCIA
card that contains information about the formatting and organization of the data
on the card.  The CIS also contains information about:

* The type of card
* Supported power supply options
* Supported power saving features
* The manufacturer
* Model number

and so on.

Types of devices that require attribute are usually lab equipment, embedded
systems, PDAs and the like. For the most part, notebook computers support Card
Services, and hence don't require attribute.

When a card is unrecognized it is frequently because the CIS information is
either lost or damaged.

The Newton can read the CIS to determine what the card is.  As I understand it,
the Newton can also get such informaton from Card Services which is software
support for PCMCIA cards.  PCMCIA card applications usually talk to Card
Services.  As I understand it, CIS is not necessary and cards with or without
attribute memory should be compatible.

If in doubt, I would get one with Attribute memory.

HTH

Tony Kan

Christchurch
New Zealand