[NTLK] Newbie with memory card questions

Tony Kan tony.kan at clear.net.nz
Sat Mar 26 21:07:21 EDT 2011

Excellent.  Thx, that clears that up.

Cheers

Tony Kan

Christchurch
New Zealand

-----Original Message-----
From: newtontalk-bounces at newtontalk.net
[mailto:newtontalk-bounces at newtontalk.net]On Behalf Of Dan
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 11:26 AM
To: newtontalk at newtontalk.net
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newbie with memory card questions

Ah I found it:
http://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=125064154415660&w=2

In short summary (quoting PCBMan here) "The attribute memory is what
holds the CIS. Without that, the Newton
doesn't know what you have inserted and will not power up the card.

There are some some situations where attribute memory is not required
but the Newton is not one of them.  It will not be recognized when you
insert it and so you will not be
able to use it."

Now this is with linear cards, perhaps ATA cards are different as the
driver for them is different as well.  But regardless linear cards
certainly do need CIS info.  I would error on the side of caution and
make sure all cards I wanted to use in a Newt had CIS/attribute memory
before I bought it.  Unless Paul speaks up here and says that the ATA
driver doesn't need CIS.

Also it is a good reminder...don't press the reset switch on a newt with
a card installed.  On occasion it can fry the card.  Best to do a soft
reset from a software utility OR pull the power and do it that way if
you have a full lockup.  That is what killed the card that was sent to
PCBMan in the first place.

-Dan