[NTLK] HWR and the art of thinking

Tony Kan tony.kan at clear.net.nz
Tue Mar 29 23:01:04 EDT 2011

The site is marketing products but they are right about the research.  It does
show that learning and using handwriting fosters better cognitive ability.
There's also a lot of research that positively links the development of motor
skills and cognitive ability.  See
http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2010/06/psychology-of-handwriting.html

But sadly educators are thinking that handwriting is being replaced by keyboards
and so they are forecasting a day when they will no longer teach it.  Of course
that just accelerates the trend.  And the children are robbed.

Often people just gauge whether or not they will use handwriting based on time
efficiency alone.  See
http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2010/01/text-entry-speed-face-off.html.  But
we Newton users know that is so much more than that.

Cheers

Tony Kan

Christchurch
New Zealand