[NTLK] data on and off

Smith Woody woodysmith at me.com
Wed May 11 19:51:28 EDT 2011

Welcome,

The wiki link at the bottom of all emails from this list will connect
you to an archive that hasn't been updated in a while a bit slow but
will provide a lot of information.
The NewtonTalk link will give you access to searchable archives.
See <http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/documentation/2x00> for
manual.  Reading this will be helpful.
Just playing with the newt as is is also good.

A couple of drawbacks with using the Newton in the modern world
WiFi encryption limited to WEP
No HTTPS or SSL
Newton formatting is incompatible with PC, Mac or other computer
filing systems.

That being said you should be able to most of what you want.
Start by downloading Newton Connection Utilities <http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/connection_utils

This will allow a serial connection between the Newton Dock
application and the PC running NCU
Obtain serial cable such as <http://biz42.inmotionhosting.com/~jiment5/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=144&category_id=9&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

or
Look on ebay for USB card from newtonsales.

Now you can install software from PC to Newton and do backups.
Look at software for starters at <http://www.unna.org/view.php>
Good collection of Newton formatted books, search archives for
instructions or look a wiki
Another good source of apps and books <http://www.tek-ed.com/>

Email client at <http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/mailv/>

For ethernet setup see <http://www.pda-soft.de/body_ethernetconnectivity.html
 > read carefully Frank provides a great deal of information, isn't
likely to repeat self.

Good luck

Woody