[NTLK] HTC Flyer review from Engadget

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Tue May 17 08:53:12 EDT 2011

~~~ On 2011/05/16 22:22, Matthias Melcher at mm at matthiasm.com wrote ~~~

> On 16.05.2011, at 21:15, Steven Frank wrote:
>
>> http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/16/htc-flyer-review/
>>
>> Scroll down to the (woefully short) Magic Pen section for the most
>> Newton-relevant bits.
>>
>>> From the sounds of things, a Newton replacement it is not.  Shame.
>>
>> Steven
>
> I think that all the interfaces could be built to get the pen working "right".
> The shame is though, that it is not a phone! Sigh.

If I'd never seen or used a Newton, I'd be attracted by this.  This looked
to me so nearly like it could be a good device and I noticed a number of
really cool features.   But as it is, I kept reading this review and
thinking "If only ..." "if only ..." "if only ...".  When I get a modern
tablet I want it to perform for me at least as well as my Newton where
they're comparable, and then add the modern stuff that didn't exist back in
1997.  This thing (like the other tablets I've seen so far) adds the modern
stuff with more or less success, but of course can't do so much of the stuff
I take for granted when using my Newt.

I'm beginning to think this is becoming a bit like that old cliché about a
roomful of monkeys with typewriters:  wait long enough and eventually
they're supposed to produce the works of Shakespeare.  In this case, I guess
if I wait long enough somebody will figure out how to create what will turn
out to be a modern, completely updated Newton.

Now I just have to figure out a way to live for that million years....

Shalom.
Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4