[NTLK] Post Raputre Newton Owners

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Sat May 21 21:31:33 EDT 2011

~~~ On 2011/05/22 02:18, William T at wllm_t at yahoo.com wrote ~~~

> This is why I like this group so much.  You can be funny, deep, and/or very
> helpful.
>
> I did this awesome rapture day prank were i set up full sets of clothes
> in my lawn so it looked like my families bodies have been raptured.

One of the main news programmes here in the UK, after doing a 5 minute spot
on this that included an interview with a C of E bishop, ended with a little
graphic wizardry and made the newscaster's body disappear in a flash of
radiance escaping a now-deflated suit through the neck and sleeves.

I can't help feeling it was a step too far, but it made me laugh all the
same.  :-|

My problem is that I have no desire to mock anyone's faith whether I agree
with it or not.  OTOH, as a Christian I have no desire for my faith to be
confused in anyone's mind with the kind of person who would wreak this kind
of havoc in the lives of innocent and trusting people.  And part of me feels
that however tragic foolishness is, it's also ridiculous and needs to be
laughed at, lest anyone think it's a viable alternative to a reasoned
belief.

I'm afraid I laugh at Hitler too, not because he's funny, but becauase, I
share Mel Brooks' belief that something so dangerous and evil needs to be
held up for ridicule until it finally is seen to be beneath human dignity.

Does that make me weird?  :-)

Shalom.
Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke