[NTLK] Very ambitious idea for 2011 Newton mods

Warren Ockrassa wockrassa at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 10:21:48 EST 2011

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Michael <mlheureux at online.fr> wrote:

> The goal would be to trim all of the excess bulk & weight & make a
> device using a Newton logic board that is a light and sleek as possible
> (like a Kindle or e-reader form factor, if possible) and 100% compatible
> with the original Newton.

Would it not be simplest to develop a program compatible with modern
tablets? Something that takes the current Newton OS, maybe even to the
point of redeveloping it, and compiling it as something like a
souped-up emulator?

With the current speed of modern processors, you'd ostensibly have the
same gestural recognition and handwriting ability, but running on
phones and pads - and probably working much much faster.

I suppose the big question would be whose patents would be trodden upon. :\

As for the tech - e-ink is nicely readable in many lighting
conditions, but as noted it's not very responsive. E-ink technology is
remarkably similar to an Etch-a-sketch, actually, except for the ways
it's not. My sense of e-ink displays is that they work best for
displaying, not for responding to user gestures.

The 3D printing idea is an interesting one. At the very least it'd be
a neat way to make replacement parts such as bezels or covers!

--
-- Warren Ockrassa | nightwares.com