[NTLK] Delurking and intro

Andrei Chichak newton at chichak.ca
Sat Nov 26 01:14:56 EST 2011

I was raised in an environment of car rallying. Back in the '70s, calculators sucked (quality and batteries), so the rally guys used Curtas to work as their rally calculators. Especially the type II, which had a wide enough accumulator that you can put in your odometer corrector and for each minute, you turn the crank and you get the distance on your instructions, as well as what your car odometer should read.

A buddy of mine picked up a flat of Curtas from Red River College (where they were originally used in their survey classes), and sold them off to the people in the car club.

Being a good computer geek as well as a car guy, I definitely had to get one. My brother uses a type II in a rally class where you can only use stop watches and calculators, he refers to himself as the Curta Crankin' Daddy. He's got it bad.