[NTLK] NewTNG 3.0

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Wed Nov 30 14:16:39 EST 2011

On 30.11.2011, at 18:22, Lord Groundhog wrote:

> ~~~ On 2011/11/30 15:37, Matthias Melcher at mm at matthiasm.com wrote ~~~
>
>>> The core of Newton, though, was and still is its HWR. That's the true
>>> value of the platform, and the part really worth keeping more than
>>> anything else. ...
>>
>> Yes, exactly. Plus the Soup interface, the GUI interface, the scheduler, etc.
>> etc. .
>>

> This.  I could put up with losing a lot of things from my Newts, but I
> absolutely need those uniquely "Newtish" things.
>
> Forgive my ignorance of all this, but I can't help thinking that the hardest
> thing to reproduce with patent infringement suits will be the Newton's HWR.
> And to me it seems that Apple/Jobs managed to put that out of our reach
> pretty much permanently.  OTOH, if Apple can let Windows7 use it, why not
> us?  Plainly I don't know something essential about this.

Microsoft licensed half of the HWR from the authors, just as Apple did back then. It's not an Apple invention IIRC.

> One other thing:  most of us have the experience of discovering 3rd party
> software that completes for us the amazing experience provided by the
> Newton.   For me that includes Five Speed Software's Dashboard, and a load
> of apps from from SilverWARE.  You all have your favourites.  At what point
> does that consideration come into this process?

Yes, the Newton emulator is very very close to the original. Almost all original software should just work. A hardware rebuild would of course be even closer, but even there would be compromises.

Do you have any software that does not run on Einstein (missing serial port aside)?