[NTLK] John McCarthy

Tony Kan tony.kan at clear.net.nz
Thu Oct 27 00:16:14 EDT 2011

Hi Andrei

I was one of the first at my High School (Queen Elizabeth College) to get
into computers and the local university (Massey) had an old Burroughs B6700
or B7700 computer.  They gave me access to it.  Punch cards back then:
eeeewwwww.

Burroughs was merged into Unisys along with Sperry. I see sales have been
declining and it made a USD 12m loss last year.

The Algol language influenced the syntax of B, C, Pascal, Simula and Ada.
BTW, I've still got a cousin who makes a living doing COBOL programming!

Cheers

Tony Kan

Christchurch
New Zealand