[NTLK] Catching up on Einstein development - ATA support installation problems

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Wed Sep 7 03:40:19 EDT 2011

On 07.09.2011, at 02:19, Tony Morrow wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2011, at 10:51 AM, Vladislav Korotnev wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Since I have some free time now, I decided to catch up on what i've been trying to implement.
>> Well, the screenshot describes it all:
>> http://cl.ly/2a0Y3p2z3M2D2s2e3E0b
>>
>> How do i solve this? :P
>>
>> Thanks!
>> ~ Vladislav Korotnev
>
> I assuming you are trying to use Einstein to access a PCMCIA ATA card plugged into your computer? As far as I'm aware it does not support direct access to any hardware. Paul Guyot had started initial programming for it through the Einstein's Relativity project in 2006 and Matthias Melcher probably used it to build basic networking support for Einstein. Besides that I don't think you can get the ATA driver to work in within Einstein.

The Networking is actually using a driver written in C++/ARM on OS 8.

Einstein does not emulate PCMCIA at all. You can increase the Flash RAM size though to get more available memory. And even if you could read and write an SD card somehow, you could still not read it on a PC. ATA just refers to the protocol between memory and the bus, not to the storage format (FAT16, for example).

The only gain form such a feature would be the ability to share an SD card between you MP and Einstein, but you would still need to write a PCMCIA emulator that converts PCMCIA ATA access into SD card access on your desktop.

 - Matthias