[NTLK] Docking

Max Smith maxmaxmaxmaxsmith at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 14:12:22 EDT 2011

First of all, many thanks to Ron Parker for helping me with un-
bootsrapping my MessagePad.

I now wanted to try out the many programs written for it. So I'm
working on connecting via ethernet. So, I thought I had it all
figured out, but I'm now having trouble. Here's what has been done so
far:
I've got the Y2010 card, and have installed the following packages
related to ethernet:
Newton Devices
Internet Setup
3C589
NIE Ethernet
Newton Internet

I'm using a 3Com 3C589C "EtherLink III" LAN card, which is confirmed
working (I tested in in an old ThinkPad 600X) with a crossover
ethernet cable. I'm trying to connect to an iMac G4 running 10.4.11
and I've downloaded and installed NCU and run it in Classic.

My question now is, what software do I use on the Newton itself to
connect? I'm assuming the dock application, but there doesn't seem to
be a selection for EtherTalk, although if I remember correctly,
EtherTalk was just an implementation of AppleTalk over ethernet.

It should be  noted that when the LAN card is inserted the Newton
spits out "There is a problem with this card. (Newton cannot
recognize this type of card.)".

Assistance would be greatly appreciated!